Tips for Mentees
Be respectful of your mentor’s time.
- Your mentor is a busy professional with many responsibilities and demands on their time.
- You can help build a successful relationship by identifying, planning, and preparing issues for every meeting and discussion with a mentor.
- Always be on time and respond promptly to calls or emails.
- Recognize generational differences and discuss with mentor.
- Do not overstep boundaries.
Make things happen.
- Take the initiative to set a call or email.
- Set up times to meet with your mentor.
- Initiate activities.
- Ask your mentor to work on a special project or presentation.
Ask for advice and welcome feedback.
- You will get much more from the relationship if you clearly and consistently ask your mentor for advice.
- A good mentor will provide you with advice, guidance and opportunities for improvement.
- Remember that all information gathered and discussed with your mentor must be kept confidential.
- When making comments about your mentor, keep them positive or neutral.